Photo of the burn pile Campbell places his mother’s body on in 2006 after shooting her seven times.

Brittney Burns – Staff Writer

More than 10 years after murdering his mother, Harold Jason Campbell appeared in court in Macon County last week requesting unsupervised time at Central Regional Hospital in Butner, N.C. Campbell’s attorney, Brad Tisdale, presented the case in court last week, informing Judge William Coward that Campbell’s psychiatrist recommended the additional unsupervised time.

As it stands, Campbell, 42, retains the privilege of four hours a day of unsupervised time at the hospital, checking in every hour. He can also attend supervised group outings with a hospital staff member.

“In December of last year I was notified that Mr. Campbell’s psychiatrist was requesting that he be allowed a pass to have unsupervised time in the community,” said District Attorney Ashely Welch. “At my request this hearing and all future hearings were transferred to Macon County so that my office could represent the state.  My primary interest is in protecting the people of this community, and my office opposed the effort to put Mr. Campbell back on the streets without supervision.  After hearing all the facts Judge Coward agreed and recommitted Mr. Campbell under conditions that keep him in the custody of a locked psychiatric facility and require him to be supervised at all times if he ever leaves the campus.  My office will continue to monitor Mr. Campbell’s situation and do everything we can to ensure the community is safe and that Mr. Campbell remains in Central Regional Hospital.”

On Dec. 5, 2006, Harold Campbell shot his mother seven times and placed her body on a burn pile in the front yard.  Campbell had just moved back to Macon County from Maryland and was living with his parents on Brendle Road. After an argument with his mother earlier in the day when Campbell’s mother, Gloria Campbell returned home from the grocery store, Campbell shot and killed her.

Macon County dispatch received two 911`calls regarding the incident, the first from Roger Tompkins, who was working a construction site nearby. The second call came from Campbell himself.

“She’s dead; please send the police, ma’am,” Campbell was reported saying to dispatch in 2006. “Please come lock me up.”

When police arrived on scene, Gloria’s body was found on a burn pile in the backyard, where Campbell apparently attempted to burn the body after he shot her.

Campbell was arrested and booked into the Macon County Detention Center with no bond. He was ruled not guilty by reason of insanity in 2011 by a Superior Court Judge and committed to Central Regional Hospital.

Judge Coward said that Campbell’s case could be revisited in a year.